Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The MCAT: My Ticket

Exactly three months from tomorrow, on May 23, I take the MCAT. It's the equivalent of D-Day, a potential turning point in my long pre-med journey. Hopefully a positive turning point, with a "victory" (a good score). Given that I want to do an MD/PhD, a victory for me means scoring at least a 35, out of a possible 45. That might not sound difficult, but the national average in 2011 was about a 28. Most people are happy if they get a 30. So naturally, I've been a bit nervous about the whole thing.

But about two weeks ago, I had an epiphany. I realized that I could look at the MCAT in one of two ways: either as standing in the way of my getting into medical school, or as my ticket to getting into medical school. Regardless of which way I view this exam, I need to study my butt off. But having a more positive outlook, I think, will help me be more confident. And confidence, when it comes to standardized test taking (or to anything for that matter), can make a huge difference. Self-doubt, on the other hand, is most certainly not a recipe for success.

Being a musical person, as I pondered the word "ticket," a song popped into my head: The Beatles' "Ticket To Ride." Granted, the majority of the song's lyrics have nothing to do with my situation (thank goodness). But one memorable chorus line definitely does:

She's got a ticket to ride
But she don't care

The MCAT is my ticket. And I don't care what else is going on, what distractions may come my way. I will focus on my ticket. Because one way or another, I am going to ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment