Saturday, November 16, 2013

Dr. Menhennett

With or without accommodation, do you have sufficient coordination to perform quickly and effectively such emergency procedures as delivering a baby or cardiopulmonary resuscitation?

- UIC College of Medicine Safety and Technical Standards form

When I got my acceptance letter from the UIC College of Medicine, it didn't feel real. It was only when I read the part about delivering a baby that it truly hit me - I'm going to be a doctor. And I have to be ready to do doctor-like things. Like deliver babies. Whoa. That's ... amazing. And a bit terrifying at the same time.

Where I go to medical school (I still have yet to hear from several schools) and which program I pursue (my acceptance is for the MD program, although I also had an MD/PhD interview at UIC and am waiting to hear on that as well) matters less than the fact that I am IN. Whatever happens the rest of the application season, I am going somewhere, guaranteed. That takes a huge weight off my chest, shoulders, and really my whole self come to think of it. I know medical school will be unlike anything I have ever experienced and will challenge me to my upper limits. But I fully believe I will come out the other side as a physician.

Dr. Lorien Menhennett. Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Menhennett kinda has a ring to it....................you haven't left room for meeting that special someone who "encourages" you to change YOUR last name to HIS last name, LOL!!! And you know how good I am about predictions when it comes to you! ;)

    ReplyDelete