Monday, January 23, 2012

Building A Scientific Cathedral

A woman came across three men working at a construction site. She asked the first man what he was doing. He replied, "I'm making bricks." She then asked the second man the same question. His reply was, "I'm making a wall." When she came to the third man and repeated her question, he said, "I'm building a cathedral."

Clearly, all three of these men were doing the same thing. But they had different attitudes, different visions, and a different sense of pride, about their work. 

So why am I telling this story? I think that there is a parallel to basic science work here (and I'm not talking about the chemical reactions involved in solidifying bricks and mortar). Like bricklaying, basic science involves a great deal of "manual" labor, which is sometimes repetitive and tedious. If that's all you see about science, though, you're not going to be very satisfied doing it - much like that first bricklayer. If you can make some connections, put the work in context, see it as the second bricklayer did - that you're creating a wall - then it will be somewhat more fulfilling. But if you can continue to do your work while maintaining the sense that you are a part of something greater, that every discovery is built upon the work of so many other people, that you are constructing a "cathedral" of sorts along with other scientists, then the discipline becomes so much more. 

I'm not going to lie. That repetitive work? I know that in my future as a physician-scientist, I may not always feel like doing it, or find it "fun." But there will be a point to it, a greater goal, both within the context of my own particular research and within the larger context of science. And I find that thrilling.

Like the greatest cathedrals, our body of scientific knowledge has been built brick-by-brick. I look forward to laying a few of my own someday.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, I love the analogy!!!!

    One of the things I'm occasionally criticized for (or more commonly, called arrogant for ) is describing whatever project I'm working on as eventually being worthy of being published in Science. And if I'm really having a good day, I'll say I'm preparing my seminal Noble Prize wining work, LOL!!!

    My intent is not to be either arrogant or delusional, but merely to communicate the fact that the effort I put into my work is on the Science/Nobel Prize level. Even if all I'm doing is preparing buffers!!!

    And I'm so happy that you have a blog, given our similar goals! I don't know of anyone else like us, so it's nice to be able to communicate with you even if it's only through the net!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Path, you made my day! :-) It most definitely is wonderful to be able to relate to someone on this, and I'm so glad you liked the post. (It was written on my iPad, by the way!)

    And oh, buffers ... I'm taking Biochemistry this semester and we're doing buffer problems right now. Argh. They're simple once you figure out what to do, but that's the hard part. So honestly, I'm impressed that you've got those buffer-making skills! ;-)

    ReplyDelete