Monday, January 2, 2012

A Good-Natured Resolution

I'm not much for making New Year's resolutions. They seem to stick for about a month, and then ... not so much. But this year, I decided to try what so many millions of people do and make my own resolution, one that hopefully I can (and will want to) keep. There is some additional incentive, other than just meeting a goal -- I invested money in this resolution up front, so I'm betting on that keeping me motivated. 

So what do I want to do? It's not your typical resolution. My goal is to read Nature every week. (Well, not ALL of it, but a good bit of it.) For those of you unfamiliar with this magazine, it's a weekly publication, and is one of the premier scientific journals in the world. Because of its prestige, its articles are only available to its paid subscribers. Countless times I have stumbled across a Nature article on PubMed and salivated over the abstract ... but I had to move on, because there was no way for me to read it. 

Thanks to some Christmas money from my grandma, problem solved! I subscribed the day after Christmas, and will be getting both the print edition, as well as online access going back more than a dozen years. (And of course, there is a Nature app for the iPad!) A subscription -- even a student subscription, which is half the regular subscription price -- cost a pretty penny ($99 students / $199 everyone else). But I think it will be worth it. After all, how can any self-respecting MD/PhD-wannabe NOT be subscribed to Nature? My point exactly. 

Assuming that I do follow through with this "resolution," I hope to post here about some of the things I read. There are very technical articles, of course, but also editorials, features, and other types of material in the magazine. I look forward to my year of Nature, and to writing about what I learn.

And as you may have noticed, I have made a new "discovery" related to blogging, as well. With the iPad blogging app I have (BE Write HD), you can set backgrounds for your blog posts. It took a bit of researching as far as how to reduce an image's opacity so that it would work as a background (I downloaded a photo editor app, PhotoForge2, for that). But I've got it figured out now.

And so here you have in the background a cell -- soon to become two cells -- in anaphase of mitosis. Pretty cool, eh?

2 comments:

  1. Hello and happy new year!

    I rarely read Nature unless a ground breaking article is published or there's a publication related to pathology/cancer in it. I do subscribe to a number of free access publications primarly through the following link:
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/

    I find it very useful as well as interesting!! Sure, there aren't many "Science" worthly pubs there, but it's interesting to me just the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, Path! :-)

    ReplyDelete