Thursday, January 12, 2012

Spring Break!

OK, so maybe it's a bit early to think about spring break, given that the semester just started yesterday. But I have exciting plans. So I want to share them. No, I'm not going to Aruba or Cancun - I'm going to the 53rd Annual Drosophila Research Conference, to be held right here in the Windy City, March 7-11, 2012. 

I first heard about this conference last year, when my Research Methods professor, Dr. Kreher, attended it (it was in San Diego then). When I met with him this morning to talk about working with him this semester on his fruit fly research, he brought up the conference ... and I immediately decided I would go. It will be a great learning opportunity, first of all - dozens of scientific posters and talks to attend, all about Drosophila genetics. It will also be a great networking opportunity, especially since I'm applying for my MD/PhD this June. You never know whom you will meet at events like this, and what kinds of connections you will make.

I will, of course, post more about it after I attend the conference. I'm sure I will have lots of exciting fruit fly news to share. 

And who knows? Maybe some day in the future, I'll be one of the presenters ...

2 comments:

  1. I suggest that in order to prepare for the big event, you host a movie night featuring, "The Fly." Cronenberg would be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That's a great idea. I haven't seen that movie in ages ... it'd be a great "review"! :-)

    ReplyDelete